Tuesday, July 19, 2011

D.I.Y. Birthday Banner.


Okay.  Please, don't judge me.  I know, I have a planning problem.  I love planning and it doesn't matter what it's for.  I usually plan for things way too early but it's therapeutic for me and I like it.  So, with a few friends having 1 year olds around us, we've been to a few 1st birthday parties and I'm blown away by the amount of energy put into these parties.  Now, I don't believe in materialism and I don't like wastefulness, so for Sonja's first birthday, I have an interesting theme picked out.  She was only 4 months old when I started this project, and yes, I'm starting the prep. work NOW.  I want her party to be vintage-y fabrics and D.I.Y. based.  I've been looking at wedding blogs lately and can't help but fall in love with the D.I.Y. projects.  And since I know Husband won't let us get married for a 3rd time, I know I'm going to have to find a way to incorporate those projects into other parties.  

So, here is my How To for making a birthday banner with fabric, the best part?  It's reusable!

Step 1:  Measure the fabric for the size triangle you want. Mine is 8 inches long and 5 inches wide at the top.
 Use the ruler to get perfectly straight lines!
Step 2: Cut out the triangle.
Step 3: Place template triangle over to the side and outline it to create another triangle.
Step 4: Cut out that triangle. (repeat this step as many times as necessary to get a front and back for however many triangles you want) ONLY USE THE SAME ORIGINAL TRIANGLE FOR THE TEMPLATE, if you start using the next one or the one after that your triangle will get slightly larger each time!   
Above a triangle with the front and back.

Step 5: Hem all edges of the triangles, then assemble with a ribbon.  This is easiest with a sewing machine, but can also be done with fabric glue, hot glue or needle and thread.  

Easy Right?!
That is if your sewing machine doesn't jam... ask me what I know about that!
The back.

I'll be posting a few more previews over the next few months of vintage D.IY. Cupcake themed party ideas.  Get excited for September 24, 2011 (yes, the same day as Within These Walls) for the funnest birthday party yet!

  Now all I have to do is thrift some beautiful quilts and plan the menu.  Obviously, cupcakes will be on the menu!

No comments:

Post a Comment