Monday, December 27, 2010

Orange Chocolate Cookies

A Christmas Tradition I started when I was about 16, I don't remember where I got this recipe originally and I've modified it slightly (are you surprised?), but I don't like to take credit for something I didn't totally come up with. No matter where I got this recipe, it's here, now, for you. Enjoy.

What you'll Need:

1 Cup Organic Butter (or vegan substitute)

2 Cups Whole Wheat Unbleached White Flour

½ Cup Powdered Sugar, sifted

1 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips (vegan or dark chocolate chips work just as well)

1 Teaspoon Orange Peel Grated

1 Teaspoon Orange Extract

½ Cup Pecans – Finely chopped

What You'll do with it all:

Using a mixer; blend butter butter; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Stir in orange rind and orange flavoring. Gradually add flour.

Shape dough into a long roll ¾ inch wide; cut roll into 2 inch pieces. Place on greased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350° for ten minutes, or until light brown. Cool cookies on wire rack. If they break while moving, stop and allow to cool completely before attempting to move them.

Melt chocolate chips in microwave oven or in top of a double boiler over simmering water.

Drizzle chocolate onto cookies, then roll in chopped nuts or sprinkle them on top.

Store in covered container. Makes 4 dozen cookies.

1 comment: