Monday, April 18, 2011

Mint Julep Cupcakes


So I had a very large mint plant and I needed to use the leaves up, so last week I made some mint juleps.  But as anyone who's tried them can tell you, they're really strong, and it became quite clear I would not be able to breastfeed and enjoy them. They were sooo strong!  So I decided that I'd use this recipe to make some cupcakes.  And as always I modified it to work for me. Here's my Mint Julep Recipe:

Ingredients.

Cupcakes:
1 Cup Organic Butter
2 Cups Raw Sugar 
4 Free Range Organic Eggs
2 and 3/4 Cups Organic Flour
1 Table Spoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt (I used pink Himalayan salt)
1 Cup Almond Milk
1 Cup Previously made Mint Julep (following this recipe)

Frosting:
3 Cups Sifted Powdered Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1 Stick Organic Unsalted Butter (I used same amount vegetable shortening)
Almond milk as needed.
Fresh Mint for Garnish.

What to do with it all:
Cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prep 30 regular size cupcake liners (or mix and match mini and regular sizes) 
Combine salt, baking powder and 1 3/4 cups flour in a bowl.
In a mixing bowl beat the butter, sugar, eggs and extract until creamy, then beat in the flour mixture above.  Add the milk and julep mixture into the batter, then beat in the rest of the flour, mix as litttle as possible, just until the mixture comes together.  divide the batter into the cupcake liners, bake for 25-30 minutes or 20 minute for mini cupcakes.

Regular cupcakes oven ready

Mini cupcakes oven ready


For the icing mixture:
Combine the powdered sugar, salt, extract and melted butter (or vegetable shortening) until creamy. Gradually add almond milk until the texture is right for piping or frosting.  When cupcakes are completely cooled, spread on top, garnish with mint leaves.


Mixing the frosting

Perfect texture!

My secret ingredient for BOTH Vegan frosting and Regular frosting with perfect texture.

A little cake stand I made with thrifted items.
 
Regular Cupcakes with Mint Garnish


No comments:

Post a Comment