Thursday, September 15, 2011

Artist(s) of the week No. 5

Hokusai and Eastern Art.

This week my students and I are discussing Eastern and Western Art.
So, for this post I thought I'd share some artists and artworks that are most influential in the my Eastern Art Curriculum.

The artist I always discuss with my students is Hokusai and his artwork The Great Wave of Kanagawa.  This is Hokusai's most famous artwork.  It comes from his series 36 Views of Mount Fuji.  You can see the volcano in the background covered in snow, just behind the boat about to be smashed by this wave.

This wood block print was created in 1829-32 during the Edo Period and It's one of my favorite examples of Japanese artwork.  It has the line work and color scheme most common in Japanese artwork.  And I love that it has Japanese Characters in the top left corner, something common in Japanese art.

I always discuss text in artwork with my students, and symbols.  I think this is a great example of symbols and language in paintings, prints or drawings.  As art students, knowing about symbols and language reference is critical in comprehending art.  How can they make something visually read-able if they don't know how to read or write it?

Here is my Printmaking Handout for High School Students available for download.
This is my Eastern and Western Art Handout for High School Students available for download.

Other Eastern Art I like includes:
Tibetan Monks creating a mandala (here

Can you believe these are made with sand?!

I LOVE henna and Indian influenced patterns.

Do you have a favorite Eastern Artist or Artwork?  Please share it in the comments below, so I can share it with my student!

I have to admit I utilize Wikipedia but that's because I know what is legitimate and what is not, regarding art.  I find that it's the most convenient place to get the most information about artworks.

1 comment:

  1. I seriously want to be part Indian/Pakistani, just so I can get some wicked Mehndi done! It's SO so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete