Monday, January 9, 2012

Plasticless Smoothie

So, I will eventually explain my plan for a year without buying plastic, but that year will be 2013 and this year I'm working on all the kinks of the plan.  Today I conquered the question of "How will I still be able to make smoothies without plastic packaged frozen berries?!"
The Answer? 
These paper, biodegradable bagged blackberries {and more berry options} from Whole Foods.
They're made with renewable engergy {whatever that means}
and NonGMO, they didn't say organic but I know that US grown blackberries are not part of the dirty dozen so I'm not too worried about their pesticide exposure.
The full recipe?
1/2 Organic mango, 2 bananas, 1/2 bag of frozen blackberries, splash of organic rice milk.
blend.
top with bee pollen {left} or mix it in.
drink.


5 comments:

  1. I'm interested in learning more about those bags. And it was ALMOST a plastic free smoothie (plastic on the bottom of the blender) lol! Any step to reducing plastic is a good step :) Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right, my goal for 2012 is to not buy any plastic and for anything I can't get without plastic, problem solve so that 2013 can be a year without BUYING plastic. I should say that I don't have a problem with plastic in theory like for things that are made to last, the problem is plastic is so cheap that everything is wrapped in it and tossed. My biggest problem is packaging and disposables, things that are made from plastic with the intention to be thrown out... plastic never breaks down, it breaks but not a molecular level, which really messes with the food chain, plankton can be killed by digesting tiny bits of plastic, which affects everything, including humans. If I think about it too much my head will explode from rage...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! When I consider everything that has plastic in it, it's just insane! Have you watched the documentary "Plastic Planet"? I had never really thought about how almost EVERYTHING has plastic in it. And disposables are insane!! The only benefit to some plastics is that they are recycled (save up all the plastic bags from food to take to Fry's). However, in the documentary, they explain why recycled plastic can actually be worse than first gen. plastics. Also, the plastics that disposables are made of is generally the cheapest of the cheap; thus most chemical-laden. Thank goodness for alternatives!

    I can't wait to read more & get more ideas of how to reduce plastics :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We buy a heap of berries when they are in season. Hopefully, you are in a place where they are sold in gross, like they are here. Then we spend time freezing and preserving them for the winter (and eating a few). It's actually pretty simple. They are stored in the freezer in our handy glass containers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We buy a heap of berries in the summer and fall, and spend some time preserving them. Then we store them in the freezer in our handy glass containers. It's a win-win, because we buy from local growers AND there's no added packaging to worry about. This year we are going to set up our own vines.

    ReplyDelete