Saturday, April 7, 2012

Kaua'i, Hawai'i Day 4 {Doing Vacation Ourselves}

Sunday was the last day my parents and younger sister were in Hawaii with us.  So, we spent the day doing some pretty touristy things upon my mother's request.  First, though, we woke up to this giant cruise ship docking in our harbor view...
Then, we got ready for the day and headed to a local plantation for a rum tasting.  Since Cupcake couldn't be in the room with the tasting, Husband stayed outside and played with her on the grounds...
 Kōloa Rum is the rum company and this is their tasting facility and store front:
above: mai tai mix and white rum
above: the bar tender is pouring my shot of gold rum.
My sister mixing the perfect mai tai.
After adding both the white and gold rum to the mix, tilt both glasses so the dark rum pours and FLOATS on the drink.  Just like an island :)
After mixing the perfect drink we tried the rum cake too and followed it with the mai tai shot.
Needless to say it was delicious and we each bought a different bottle!
After the tasting and some running around on the plantation we went on a boat tour to the Fern Grotto.
Once we got to the fern grotto we got off the boat to walk through the trees and see the trickling waterfall and cave. 
above: The Fern Grotto
It used to be a full on waterfall but, unfortunately, they diverted most of the water to the sugar plantations.
So that rum I enjoyed earlier is the restult of stolen water... which made me like it less :(
These leaves were bigger than Sonja!
The view from the boat on our way back to the dock.  Such a beautiful tour.
The bushes lining the river are actually Hawaii's more sacred flower and has more medical healing properties than the other flowers on the island, but sadly, it's loosing popularity because more people like the hibiscus and lei flowers... I wish I knew the name of the plant.  You can bet when we live there I will be harvesting it to treat my loved ones.

After our tour, we came back to the condo and made the pasta I bought at the farmer's market on Saturday.
This is black {squid} ink pasta with a garlic shrimp sauce also from the market.
I'm a huge advocate for trying new things but I just couldn't get into it, even though I was the one who picked it out. Who doesn't want to try black pasta?! 
Anyway, Sonja LOVED it and kept reaching her hands in my bowl and getting black dye all over the rug and furniture.  opps. 
After dinner we made one last adventure out for the night and went to Rocco's pizza for some ice cream.
The shop was walking distance from the hotel as were most of the restaurants we ate at.
I got the chocolate macadamia nut with a second scoop of coconut.
After ice cream we walked down to the beach, and look at that! a family photo {taken by another couple}

Not a bad way to end the night.  Next post? Day 5.
And, I promise; if you like nature, it will be worth checking back!

No comments:

Post a Comment